Exif Untrasher 1.5 released
Exif Untrasher 1.4.3, before today the most recent release, was published on 06/06/2006. Today it’s 10/07/2014, and I have released Exif Untrasher 1.5, which means this update took 3,045 days. Wow.
Looking back, I am myself surprised. Admittedly, I wasn’t too much interested in this software, as I would have needed it myself exactly once – and at that time (in 2003), I didn’t have Exif Untrasher. So, actually, I haven’t used my own software a single time. But still, in all this time, people continued to write mails asking questions, blog about it and occasionally sent a donation, so I knew it is still widely used.
Therefore, I had long planned to release an update that would fix some of the more severe usability issues, of which there were quite a few. Without doubt, the fact that Exif Untrasher was single-threaded was the one shortcoming that was the worst of all. Pretty soon after you started the restoration process, it would become unresponsive and show the spinning beachball – which I found acceptable at that time, as I didn’t want to dig into Cocoa multi-threading (After all, that was long before Apple came up with Grand Central Dispatch and NSOperation.), but obviously caused a lot of confusion.
Years passed and I rather spent my “Cocoa sparetime” on other projects. During that time, not only got Exif Untrasher’s codebase more and more outdated (in fact, when cleaning up for version 1.5, I removed code that tested if EU is running on Mac OS X < 10.3), but everything else, too. This meant that I not only had to modernize code, but also migrate from Subversion to Git (which I have exclusively used in the last few years), add new high-resolution icons, adapt the codebase to my build system, and update everything else, from Readme files to screenshots on the website. Doing things like these is never fun, but doing it all at once is even more tedious.
This is why I am all the more happy that Exif Untrasher 1.5 is finally out. Apart from usability improvements (finally, the restoration is done in a separate thread), there is nothing much visible change. Specifically, the image restoration algorithm was not changed, so when it comes to the results, Exif Untrasher should behave no different than before.